Alliant Energy (Alliant) has provided energy to homes & factories across the U.S. Upper Midwest for over 100 years. Alliant Energy serves more than 1.4 million customers in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin and covers 54,000 square miles of service territory. Alliant Energy maintains a strong fleet of fossil fuel and renewable generating facilities, generating more than 30 million megawatt hours of electricity each year. Alliant Energy currently employs close to 5,000 employees (including Union workers) with an inclusive and diverse workplace, and looks for people who value opportunity, challenge, innovation and results. Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, Alliant Energy is a Fortune 1000 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
Scope of Project
Elire was selected to assist Alliant with the PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 Upgrade, and simultaneous assessment and implementation of ePerformance and Manager Dashboard modules. Elire provided the following consulting services for Alliant Energy:
- Upgraded PeopleSoft HCM from 9.0 to 9.2
- Facilitated and led the assessment of whether there was significant ROI in purchasing ePerformance to replace a highly customized form of base Employee Review, and if so, whether it was cost effective and resource efficient to implement it during vs. post upgrade
- Implemented ePerformance 9.2 and Manager Dashboard 9.2 with integration to the Portal
- Facilitated business requirements gathering with stakeholders, VPs/client executives, users, and business analysts. This includes workshops and demos
- Performed fit/gap analysis, and provided best practice evaluation/recommendations
- Helped Alliant Energy streamline and clean their security across HCM & FSCM. This included going through old custom/permissions/department security that were no longer applicable after Alliant’s various organizational changes through the years
- Provided analysis, time estimates, support, recommendations, issue resolution, and solutions for PeopleSoft limitations and/or business process challenges during the upgrade
- Recommended creative solutions and ‘outside-of-the-box-thinking” whenever feasible to minimize customization
- Created design documents, functional specification documents, and other deliverables for both the HCM 9.2 Upgrade & Implementation of ePerformance
- Set up/configured the above mentioned modules where appropriate
- Created test scripts and performed testing (unit test, system test, integration test, user acceptance test) using Quality Center
- Successfully integrated the HCM Upgrade with 40 plus third-party systems & other PeopleSoft Applications including PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management, CRM, EPM, Data Warehousing, Active Directory/Phone Directory, Lotus Notes, Kenexa (recruiting system), EAI, and many others
- Identified change management & training needs, and created/updated HCM 9.2 training material/documentation for the client
- Identified tasks/roles for the newly implemented modules
- Contributed to the go-live/deployment strategy
- Proved to be an effective liaison between client management/executives, business analysts, and technical analysts/developers
PeopleSoft 9.2 introduced new functionality and the in-house resources had not worked with 9.2 before, some of the key resources were new to PeopleSoft upgrade process and to Alliant Energy. In addition, the resources available in-house were limited. The timeline to get the project done was one year, but the in-house resources had competing day-to-day business support tasks that also required their attention. Alliant Energy had 40-plus third-party application interfaces as well as a PeopleSoft Financials/Supply Chain Application system that was going to remain in version 9.0 (for the time being), and needed consulting expertise to keep the integrations operating smoothly. In addition, Alliant had to upgrade PeopleTools 8.53 for both HCM and FSCM.
Alliant Energy was looking for consultants that not only could help them strategize, analyze, design, develop, test and eventually bring them to the new platform; but Alliant was also looking for consulting expertise that had well rounded, 360 degree knowledge of PeopleSoft HCM Application end to end. Alliant also wanted consulting resources with extensive expertise in working with HCM functionality so that Alliant Energy’s internal team’s time spent in researching and learning curve could be minimized. Lastly, Alliant Energy needed consultants that could provide knowledge of HCM Industry Best Practice for efficiency in business processes for the short & long-term.
Elire was able to provide a successful HCM 9.0 to 9.2 Upgrade & Simultaneous Implementation of ePerformance & Manager Dashboard setting the basis for a robust and better integrated solution with enhanced capabilities in Human Capital Management. Elire resources helped identify areas where customizations could be retired, and replaced it with delivered functionality. In addition, Elire helped clean up Alliant’s HCM security so that it is easier to maintain going forward. Elire also incorporated the industry best practices where appropriate, and not only did the work on the ground, but also provided a trusted advisor relationship. Elire delivered success while staying on time and within budget!