Reporting is a key area for every payroll team, whether it be a checklist of reports run to assist in a smooth payroll calculation, reports for year-end validation, or analytical reports to answer strategic questions. For clients moving to Oracle Cloud Global Payroll from an on-premise system such as PeopleSoft, ensuring the payroll team has access to the data they need can be a daunting process. Here are some strategies to make this transition a smoother one.
1. Do not recreate all legacy reports. Many times, there is an irresistible urge to recreate everything that a legacy system did, but since data and processes will change in the new system, some of these reports may go away completely while new ones may be identified.
- Tip: Analyze legacy reports to provide insight on what may need to be created, but not as a definitive
2. Use delivered functionality whenever possible. Below, this chart demonstrates specific report types, their purpose, when to run said reports, and an example of their usage.Tip: Customization is possible but can be time-consuming. Most delivered payroll reports are built on an HCM Extracts and have an associated BI Publisher Template. If all of the data is available in the extract, then focus on template customization.
3. OTBI is a great tool for technical and functional users alike. It has a user-friendly drop and drag interface with the ability to layer on additional complexity via functions and filters. However, it can be tricky identifying which subject area to use as well as how to bring inaccurate results. Two of the most helpful subject areas to use are Payroll Run Results and Payroll Balances.
Within Payroll Run Results, review the results of payroll processing.
- Make sure to use or filter on Element, Element Name, and Input Value. Input Value Name or the Payroll Run Results measure columns will be misleading. This is because amounts are aggregated by the fields used in the report. Because elements have shadow elements and can have multiple input values, the amount processed is explained by these fields.
- Use a pivot table to bring in hours and amount in the same row.
- Payroll Run Result Details: Payroll Actions Effective Date corresponds to the “Process Date” that payroll enters when running a payroll calculation.
Within Payroll Balances, review payroll balance amounts such as Gross Earnings.
- Make sure to bring in Balance Dimension. Base Dimension Name or aggregated amounts will be misleading. Each balance can have several base dimensions associated with it. The balance will be aggregated unless the base dimension name is a field in the report or there is a filter on the field.
- You can bring in the column “Balance Value. Balance Value” multiple times and then filter each column on a specific Balance Name to get multiple balances in the same row.
- YTD balances are currently not available within each subject area, but you can sum individual runs with an effective date prompt to mirror a YTD balance.
4. Directly accessing the database tables can help with very custom requests that can’t be accomplished via OTBI subject areas or HCM extracts.
Frequently used payroll tables:
Using OTBI logs and HCM extract User entities for additional guidance to identify where columns live and how various payroll tables work together.
5. Cloud Customer Connect has several helpful sections.
In Idea Lab, HCM Cloud users can suggest enhancements and ideas that can make Cloud HCM better. There is a section focused entirely on Reporting and Analytics.
In Product Forums, there is a Reporting and Analytics section where users can post questions or posts and connect with other HCM Cloud users.
In Product Forums, there is a Report Sharing Center that holds a plethora of sample reports that have been posted by the community to solve real-life reporting requirements. These reports can be used without modifications or provide a starting point to meet specific requirements.
Navigating the move from an on-premise solution to Cloud can be a tricky and daunting task. Luckily, Elire’s experts are here to help with all your payroll transition needs. Reach out to [email protected] to schedule a time to talk about your coming migration. In the meantime, view this blog post on the reporting tools in Oracle Cloud, OTBI and BI Publisher here