Perdoceo Education Corporation is an educational services company headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois with more than 4,000 employees across the nation. Perdoceo is committed to providing quality, career-focused learning. They are led by passionate professionals who inspire individual worth and lifelong achievement. Perdoceo Education’s academic institutions offer a quality education to a diverse student population in a variety of disciplines through online, campus-based, and blended learning platforms.
Scope of the Project
Perdoceo contacted Elire through an RFP on a couple of previous occasions. Back in 2017, Elire was a finalist in response to the PeopleSoft 9.1 to 9.2 Human Resource Upgrade project, however, Perdoceo (then referred to as CEC) selected a different service provider. Due to concerns following the execution of the HCM upgrade, Perdeoceo once again included Elire in their 2020 PeopleSoft 9.1 to 9.2 Financials Upgrade project RFP. This time around, Elire was successful in showcasing an upgrade methodology that would minimize Perdoceo’s leadership concerns and provide for a successful PeopleSoft Financials Upgrade.
The primary focus of this PeopleSoft 9.2 upgrade project was to perform a "lift and shift" of the existing PeopleSoft Financials functionality from PeopleSoft 9.1 to 9.2 with the addition of identified new PeopleSoft 9.2 application capabilities. These new capabilities consisted of the transition from PeopleSoft Classic Components and Pages to PeopleSoft Fluid, implementation of Workcenters, enhancements to existing Workflow, and moving from Secure Enterprise Search (SES) to Elasticsearch.
Given Perdoceo's long history of PeopleSoft implementations, a high volume of application customizations, and many company mergers and acquisitions along the way, the greatest challenge facing the upgrade team was the sheer volume of customizations and configurations that needed to be evaluated. To further complicate the evaluation and re-application of existing customizations, many of the complex components containing the customizations were identified as moving from Classic to Fluid. This required the development team composed mostly of offshore developers to first identify and understand the existing Classic customizations, and then interpret how these customizations needed to be re-applied in the corresponding Fluid versions of the Components and Pages. In addition to this complexity, the Perdoceo internal support staff was very thin and was spread across many modules, permitting limited time for knowledge transfer.
A couple of final challenges worth noting were the extremely aggressive 6.5-month timeline to complete the PeopleSoft 9.2 Financials upgrade, which also included a PeopleTools 8.58 upgrade shortly following the initial move to production. This PeopleTools upgrade was deemed necessary by Perdoceo leadership due to performance improvements related to the Microsoft SQLServer database.
Performing a project of this magnitude remotely through the COVID-19 pandemic was challenging, but the team persevered and found efficient ways to collaborate and successfully deliver. The Elire and Perdoceo project team delivered success through an on-time and under budget upgrade go-live in August 2020, which included the following new features and functionality:
- Implementation of Workcenters across the applications
- Use of pivot grids (Tiles and WorkCenters) across the applications
- Leveraged enhanced Alerts and Notifications across the applications
- Transition to Fluid Workflow Approval
- Transitioned from Classic Requisition to Fluid Requisition entry
- Enhanced Catalog Searching (leveraging ElasticSearch)
- Implemented the Mass Transaction Manager
- Implemented Import Data via Spreadsheet
- Implemented Mass Delete Journal (used during cutover to clean up 4000+ journal in less than an hour)
- Implemented Financial Structure Request w/ Discussion Service
- Transitioned to Fluid Expense Entry - a totally new look and feel from Classic
- Transitioned from Bar Code Fax to delivered receipt attachment functionality
- Added AWE Workflow to custom bolt-on Project Request page
- Implemented new Payment Request functionality
- Page and Field Configurator framework was used to isolate/eliminate customizations.
- Utilization of Drop Zones for applying custom content directly to transaction pages rather than placing the content in a separate window or in the related content frame.
- App Engine Plugins were used (part of 8.58) to minimize invasive customizations/isolate customizations.
- Event Mapping framework was used to meet the business needs with minimum PUM update customization impact.
- Implemented ElasticSearch as a replacement for SES