The PeopleSoft Legacy Delivery Model focused on an “upgrade and maintain” model – encouraging customers to stay current, but rarely actually apply maintenance. This led to customers applying small upkeep deliveries periodically, with major sparse full application upgrades every 3-5 years. These large exhaustive and expensive upgrade projects only leveraged new functionality and features after the full upgrades, leading to a lag in delivery and new features being already out of date.
With the release of PeopleSoft 9.2, came Oracle’s new “Continuous Delivery Model.” Replacing the legacy delivery model, CDM is focused around updates being delivered in “Images” from PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM). Six to seven images are released annually, with new features and enhanced functionality in each image. PeopleSoft 9.2 also includes a suite of lifecycle tools to assist in the update process, including PUM, Data Migration Workbench, PeopleSoft Test Framework, and Change Assistant.
As a part of the Continuous Delivery Model, customers are now given the option for “Selective Adoption” of new features and functionality through the use of PeopleSoft Update Manager and Change Assistant.
Leveraging Continuous Delivery within 9.2 includes a major change to many business processes and end-user training. In order to maximize the benefits of this new lifecycle methodology, it is essential to:
- Reduce the level of customization – by quantifying your customization level, performing TCO analysis on new requests to limit future customizations, and emphasizing customization reduction as a guiding principle
- Improve the quality and coverage of test scripts – by reusing test scripts and continually improving, adding test scripts throughout the year until full coverage is achieved, and broadening business process expertise
- Reducing test execution time – using an Automated testing tool such as PeopleSoft Test Framework, and adding testing resources or carving out time to absorb responsibility
Elire’s Success DeliveredTM CDM Methodology will assist you in preparing for your 9.2 Upgrade to fully leverage the new capabilities Continuous Delivery has to offer. Our team offers the following Service Offerings to optimize your software investment in 9.2:
- CDM Readiness Assessment – to determine your Current State capabilities to succeed under Continuous Delivery
- Foundation Building – to acquire the capabilities to succeed under Continuous Delivery and drive down long term costs
- Continuous Delivery Project – to guide your organization to repeated success under the new model